HeatShield® chimney relining is a process that involves applying a specially formulated mixture of ceramic refractory materials to the inside of your chimney. This mixture forms a strong and durable ceramic coating that protects your chimney and home from the heat and corrosive byproducts of combustion. Having your chimney restored using a HeatShield® relining system enhances your chimney’s integrity by eliminating the dangers that come from having cracks or gaps in your flue.
For any and all of your chimney relining needs, count on Wolfman Chimney & Fireplace. We’re here for those in and around San Antonio, Austin, and more.
How Does HeatShield® Chimney Relining Work?
Having your chimney repaired using a HeatShield® System is a multistep process. First, a certified and knowledgeable technician will need to inspect your chimney to determine which HeatShield® repair system is the most appropriate solution for your needs. There are three HeatShield® repair methods that can be used to repair your chimney: (1) The Joint Repair System, (2) The Resurfacing System, and (3) The CeCure® Sleeve Relining System.
The degree of damage or defects found during your chimney inspection will determine which system is appropriate for your chimney needs.
Joint Repair System
The Joint Repair System starts with a special foam applicator blade that is custom-fabricated to fit your specific chimney. Once this custom tool is made, it is placed in your chimney just below each void or gap. Next, the HeatShield® Cerfractory Flue sealant mixture is added to fill the gaps and voids as the special tool moves up your chimney. Lastly, as the special applicator tool is pulled back upward, it ensures that all gaps and voids are nice and smooth.
The Resurfacing System also uses a special foam applicator to repair your chimney, and it is ideal for chimneys that are suffering from cracked or spalled flues, but are in sound condition otherwise. “Spalling” refers to the terra cotta flue tiles that have cracked and crumbled as a result of moisture that is trapped in the tiles. This moisture triggers expanding and contracting over time, which wears down the entire setup.
The Resurfacing System application starts with the foam applicator plug being placed at the bottom of your chimney flue by a winch located at the top of your chimney. Next, the winch pulls the plug upward while applying a “tie coat” to your chimney walls. The “tie coat” acts as a primer and also helps to prep the tiles before applying the flue sealant.
Once the tie coat has been applied and has time to dry, the foam plug is used again to coat your chimney with a ¼” thick layer of HeatShield® Cerfractory Flue Sealant. Lastly, to ensure that your chimney has been restored properly, a digital camera scan is done to confirm that your chimney has been completely sealed.
CeCure® Sleeve Relining System
The HeatShield® with CeCure® Sleeve Relining System is recommended for chimneys that are unlined, or that have more serious damage or defects. This process starts the same as the other two with a special applicator plug applying a coat of HeatShield® Cerfractory Flue Sealant inside your chimney via a pulley and winch. Next, the winch lowers a custom fitted CeCure Sleeve down into your chimney that is then attached to the top of your chimney.
What makes the CeCure Sleeve the right choice for more severely damaged chimneys is that it is made to be a high-density, ceramic insulation sleeve with a low profile that has been reinforced with a specialized stainless steel fabric. Once the sleeve is in place, the applicator plug is pulled through the chimney again to ensure that the sleeve has set firmly into the first coating of flue sealant and then a temporary clamp is placed. One more coating of HeatShield® Cerfractory Flue Sealant is applied over the sleeve, and then the entire installation and integrity of the sleeve and chimney is verified with a special camera.
What Are the Benefits of HeatShield® Chimney Relining?
HeatShield® chimney relining offers several benefits over other chimney relining methods, including:
- Improved Safety: HeatShield® can improve the safety of your home by reducing the risk of chimney fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. The ceramic coating created by HeatShield® protects your chimney from heat and corrosion, preventing dangerous cracks, leaks, and other issues that can lead to chimney fires and carbon monoxide intrusion.
- Improved Efficiency: HeatShield® can also enhance the efficiency of your chimney by reducing the buildup of creosote and other materials inside your flue. This can help to improve airflow, reduce smoke and soot buildup, and increase the overall heat output of your fireplace or stove.
- Cost-Effective: HeatShield® chimney relining is often a more cost-effective solution than other relining methods, such as stainless steel liners. This is because HeatShield® can be applied directly to your existing chimney, eliminating the need for expensive and time-consuming demolition and reconstruction.
- Eco-Friendly: All three HeatShield® systems are made with recycled and naturally occurring materials, which also helps to make these systems a more cost-effective solution for your chimney relining needs.
- Long-Lasting & Reliable: All HeatShield® systems come with a limited lifetime warranty and can only be installed by professional chimney technicians that have proven they meet the rigorous standards set out by HeatShield®.
Ensure Safer Fireplace Operation by Working With Us
If you are curious about the condition of your chimney and want to learn more about how to ensure the integrity and safety of your fireplace and chimney, the professionals at Wolfman Chimney and Fireplace are standing by to take care of all your chimney and fireplace needs. Give us a call today to handle your relining services, fireplace and chimney repairs, and more.
Dial 830-620-9130 or schedule online today.